M.Arch. Housing (Executive)
- M.Arch. Housing (Executive)
About the Course
Housing is the specialized Master's Degree course where Architecture and Civil Engineering can be part of the course to enhance the ability and skill in the growing demand of the housing market. Housing is an area of special emphasis in India. The National Housing Policy, setting up of NHB, HUDCO, HDFC, the emphasis of the UNCHS, World Bank, and USAID, as well as entry of major public and private corporations and multinational companies are some of its manifestations. Due to rapid urbanization, the need for housing has risen rapidly. Housing is the basic need for common people. Proper planning will give them adequate space to cope with the ever expanding nature of the cities.
The Master's degree course in Housing aims to develop the following skills in the graduates to meet the housing challenges in the unevenly developing world.
- Design various housing projects and develop the ability to fulfill spatial needs for various sections of the society.
- Inculcate the ability to deal with contemporary issues affecting housing demands.
- Cultivate the ability to anticipate future directions both in housing and urbanization.
- Cultivate social and cultural sensitivities for various economic backgrounds.
- Create housing policies for Indian cities.
- Develop practical, analytical and managerial skills.
- Introduce innovative solutions for housing issues like parking, services, light and ventilation for overcrowded societies.
|Core subjects||Elective subjects|
|Urban and Rural Housing||Infrastructure Development and Project Finance|
|Sustainable Development and Housing design.||Urban Disaster Management|
|Contemporary Digital Practices||Landscape, Ecology and Planning|
|Housing Design and Technology||High Rise Buildings|
|Housing Studio||Housing Bye Laws and Planning Legislation|
|Urbanization and Land Management||Contemporary Materials and Technology|
|Slums and Squatter Settlements||Housing in Special Areas|
|Housing Strategies||Housing Finance|
|Housing Sociology and Economics||Housing Infrastructure Services|
|Real Estate Planning and Management||GIS modeling in Planning|
The minimum duration of the Programs is 4 semesters but in any case not more than 8 semesters excluding the semesters withdrawn on medical grounds.
The following norms will generally be followed in assigning credits for courses.
- One credit for each lecture / tutorial hour per week per semester.
- One credit for each design studio / dissertation / thesis session of two periods per week per semester.
The curriculum of M.Arch. is so designed that the minimum prescribed credits required for the award of the degree is within the limits of 80 - 95.
The medium of instruction, examination and the language of the project reports is English.
Thesis shall be carried out under the supervision of a qualified teacher in the concerned department.
- A candidate may, however, in certain cases, be permitted to work on the project in an Industrial / Research Organization, based on the recommendations of HOD, with the approval of the Head of the Institution. In such cases, the thesis shall be jointly supervised by a supervisor of the department and an expert from the organization and the student shall be instructed to meet the supervisor periodically and to attend the review committee meetings for evaluating the progress.
- The thesis shall be pursued for a minimum of 15 weeks during the final semester.
- Every candidate doing M.Arch. shall be encouraged to send a paper for publication in a Journal or a Conference based on his/her thesis work.
This course enhances career prospects in government and private sectors in order to meet the challenges faced by the contemporary built environment. There are opportunities to develop their careers with NHB and HUDCO. Other ventures would include academicians, entrepreneurs, consultants, project managers, etc.
Prominent Prospective Employers:
- Government organizations
- Corporate architecture firms
- Multi-national companies
- Development authorities
- Real estate development firms
- Architecture consultancies
Duration : 2 Years